13 Jan 2008

To all new arrivals

How does it feel, arriving in London when you intend to live over there? I still don't know. When I got out of the Eurostar - now at Charing Cross, the official centre of London - I took my bike out of my expensive bicycle bag, put my wheels in the frame and checked my gear system. Everything worked.

Cycling is superior on public transport. You have the feeling of control. I decide my direction and my pace. And I will never go faster than my heart allows. Yes, all this is metaphoric!

I had to ask where the river was. A man said it took a long ride. I said I have long legs, which is fully true. He on the other hand, he lied: the ride wasn't long at all. He doesn't know what cycling is.

I wonder if there is one of all the cycling heroes of London that grew up here. I'm betting no! This city imported them.

The river was only two miles further. I followed it another two miles and arrived at Vauxhall, where I had to be. Vauxhall lies at the river but at the wrong side: south. Central as it is it could do with some gentrification.

The Royal Vauxhall Tavern is a big gay bar with the same name. If I was gay, one thing I know for sure: I wouldn't go to that bar. I don't know where the homosexuals of MI6 head for. I think Soho, altough MI6 is also in Vauxhall.

If I meet the real Bond, I'm gonna report it to you. And if I see him entering the Royal Vauxhall Tavern, I have big scoop!

Hope I find a way tomorrow to upload own pictures.

No comments: